Choralis schedules new member auditions on specific dates several times a year. The main fall audition dates have passed, but it still may be possible to schedule an audition for the remainder of the season. It will depend on current need and where we are in the concert preparation cycle. Inquiries as to possible auditions on request should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Choralis audition has five parts.
- You will have the opportunity to discuss your choral singing background with the artistic staff.
- You will perform a solo (aria, art song, hymn, or your voice part from a choral piece). You will need to bring three copies of your music – one for yourself, one for the artistic staff, and one for the accompanist.
- You will be asked to sing scales so that your vocal range can be determined.
- You will complete a tonal exercise.
- You will be asked to sight-read a short section of music.
Auditioners are notified of the result within five days.
Additional Information for Auditioners
- Choralis rehearses on Tuesday evenings at 7:30 pm.
- Rehearsals are held at The Falls Church Episcopal Church, 115 E. Fairfax Street, Falls Church, VA
- Dues are $350 for the season and are not pro-rated for partial-year membership.
- Singers also must pay for music, which generally costs between $50 and $80 per season. There also is required concert attire.
- Singers are expected to volunteer for one of the many tasks required for a Choralis season, such as labeling promotional mailings, grant writing, helping with stage set-up, etc.
High School Singing Scholars Auditions
Auditions for admittance to the High School Singing Scholars (HSSS) program are offered in June and August and at other times on a space-available basis. The next audition dates are Monday, August 27th and Thursday, August 30th, with auditions being scheduled at 10-minute increments between 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm each of those evenings. Auditions will take place at The Falls Church Episcopal Church, 115 E. Fairfax Street, Falls Church, VA (enter through the double glass doors). Skilled high school singers are welcome to request an audition slot by sending an email to email@example.com. Please indicate that you are auditioning to be a High School Singing Scholar.